2 Ways Your Public Liability Insurance Can Save You Money When You're Running Workshops

Posted on: 25 April 2016


If you're organising a workshop for the first time, you may be feeling overwhelmed by all the expenses that come with it: venue hire, workshop supplies, catering, marketing, insurance. You may even be considering risking it and going without public liability coverage. But would you really be saving? Here is why getting public liability insurance is not only essential but can also be the more cost-effective way to go.

You're protected against claims of personal injury and property damage

Some workshop activities, such as cooking or circus arts, come with higher risks for participants, but even if you believe that you're not doing anything potentially dangerous, accidents do happen. Something as common as one of your guests slipping can lead to a bad fall, thousands of dollars in medical bills and loss of income due to inability to work. In case your workshop participant makes a claim, all these expenses, as well as legal fees, will be covered by your public liability insurance, or if you don't have coverage, they will come out of your pocket. 

Your workshop participants can also claim compensation for emotional or psychological damage they suffered while working with you. These claims can arise from a variety of circumstances: actions that your participants may perceive as harassment, exceptionally strong emotional reactions that cause suffering, inability to function or loss of enjoyment of life, anxiety due to being stuck in the lift on the way to or from the workshop. 

You can choose from a wider range of venues for your workshop

Your local council and other councils in your area operate a great variety of community venues that can be hired for commercial purposes. Community venues are usually rented out at very affordable rates, but the councils will only let you hire their facilities to run a for-profit workshop if you hold public liability insurance. The minimum coverage conditions vary from council to council, for example, the City of Sydney requires $10 million public liability coverage and the City of Dandenong -- $5 million. You will have to provide proof of cover at the time of booking. In some cases, you will be able to apply for cover under the council's policy at an extra per-workshop fee, which adds up if you're planning to run workshops regularly.

Privately owned venues may also ask that you have public liability insurance before you can book. By not having it, you're also considerably limiting your venue options and possibly paying more for hire.